Information on Cookies

To make the best use of our website, you'll need to make sure your web browser is set to accept cookies to ensure you receive the best experience.

For further information, please read our Cookies Policy.

Log In

Go To News
Institute response to Commission on Alcohol Harms call for evidence Published Date: 21/02/2020

The Commission on Alcohol Harm has issued a call for evidence to support an inquiry into the effects of alcohol on society.

The Commission has been established to examine the current evidence on alcohol harm, recent trends in alcohol harm and the changes needed to reduce the harm caused by alcohol. The Commission will also examine the need for a new comprehensive alcohol strategy for England, which takes account of the strategies in place in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and considers UK-wide priorities in areas where policy is not devolved.  

The Institute has now published its response to the call for evidence. The IoL’s Executive Officer, Sue Nelson, said: “There is a need for a balanced approach to alcohol policy which supports tackling alcohol harms but avoids villainising the hospitality industry which is an essential element of the UK’s economy and the social structure of our society.  Safe, sensible and social consumption of alcohol should not be adversely impacted by alcohol policy.

“Potentially there is a need for more education about the harmful effects of heavy and dependent drinking, and more personal responsibility in connection with behaviour and attitudes towards alcohol, particularly binge drinking and the impact of exposure to alcohol on children (whether through parental use of alcohol or more directly through access to alcohol consumption).

“There are some great examples of partnership working, and this should be encouraged in all areas both locally and nationally so all parties (including industry) can work together to tackle the issues and identify those in need of support.”

The Institute’s response can be found on the IoL’s online library or by contacting