An overview of the taxi and private hire statistics:
- The total number of licensed vehicles in England decreased by 15.9% since 2020, to 251,100. Just over three quarters (77%) of licensed vehicles are Private Hire Vehicles (PHVs).
- There were 343,800 driver licences in 2021, a decrease of 5.7% compared to the previous year.
- The decreases in the numbers of licensed vehicles and diver licences has largely been attributed to the coronavirus pandemic. The rate of decrease has been greater for licensed vehicles at least in part because licence lengths for vehicles are generally shorter than those for drivers.
- The increase in the number of authorities requiring disability awareness training for taxi and PHV drivers has continued in 2021.
- 66% of authorities require all or part of the taxi feet to be wheelchair accessible, a small
increase from 65% in 2019.
- As at 31 March 2021 48% of authorities submitted data to NR3, and 50% used the NR3 when
making licensing decisions. An increase from 39% and 40% respectively at 31 March 2020.